The annual Fish Art Contest is now open! Students in kindergarten through 12th grade can create an original piece of artwork and compete in this free contest for a chance to win state and national honors and prizes.
In partnership with Wildlife Forever, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is excited to announce the second annual category for a Florida Native Fish Award! This State Specialty Award is an additional award to the national Fish Art Contest that participating students will qualify for by submitting a Florida native species from the specified list below. The goal of the Florida Native Fish Award is to celebrate fish species native to Florida’s inland and marine waters.
“The Florida Native Fish Award is an amazing opportunity to introduce students to some of Florida’s most iconic native fish species in a fun and creative way,” said FWC Commissioner Sonya Rood. “This award helps connect Florida’s students to the fish species that help make Florida the Fishing Capital of the World, which is critical in inspiring the next generation of fisheries resource stewards.”
One first place winner and one runner up will be selected for each grade bracket. The brackets are kindergarten through third grade, fourth through sixth grade, seventh through ninth grade, and 10th through 12th grade. One for illustrating the best freshwater fish species and one for the best saltwater fish species. Digital artwork will not be accepted this year, all submitted pieces must be created with a traditional media. All first-place winners will advance to the National Competition to be judged for top prizes, such as Best of Show. The deadline to enter is Feb. 28, 2024. So start designing!
To enter, students from Florida should submit their entry at Wildlife Forever – Florida Art, consisting of the following:
- An original piece of physical artwork featuring any fish including one or more of the following Florida native species from the same category:
- Category 1 – Freshwater. Largemouth bass, striped bass, black crappie, bluegill, redear sunfish, spotted sunfish, channel catfish, Florida gar, chain pickerel, bowfin.
- Category 2 – Saltwater. Snook, redfish, spotted seatrout, flounder, tarpon, mahi-mahi, Spanish mackerel, hogfish, queen snapper, black grouper.
- A piece of creative writing, no longer than one page, about the chosen species (required for grades 4-12).
- A Florida State-Fish Art Contest entry form.
Note: Digital artwork will not be accepted this year. All submitted pieces must be created with a traditional media.
Florida Fish Art Contest Prizes.
- First-place winners in the 10-12 grade bracket will receive 10 T-shirts printed with their artwork to give to family and friends from our partner The Florida Nomad. The shirts will also be available for sale on their website.
- The two first-place winners from each grade bracket, from each category will have their artwork displayed in FWC’s freshwater or saltwater regulations guide.
- All first-place winners will have their artwork displayed at FWC headquarters in Tallahassee.
For all things Florida fishing, tune into Reel Talk on ESPN SWFL.