Seminole Fans and Clemson fans all had FSU vs. Clemson, Saturday Sept 23rd circled on their calendars for the big show down. They knew this date would be pivotal to their ACC Championship hopes, and the opportunity to face off and beat another highly ranked, ACC team. This game was to be the opportunity for Florida State University to launch the program back into a national contender position. But here we are 2 weeks into the season and everything has changed.
The ‘Noles are suddenly ranked #3 in the most recent AP poll and Clemson is now unranked. What does all this mean to the ‘Noles?
Let’s assume FSU takes care of business with Boston College.
BC, who by the way Lost to Northern Illinois and struggled to beat Holy Cross this past weekend. No disrespect to Holy Cross or Northern Illinois but those teams are not in any conversations regarding well, anything football related. Now, the Clemson game seems to be a trap just waiting for the ‘Noles. Here is why I say this:
1. Clemson has nothing to lose and everything to gain. they are out of any legitimate national conversation right now.
2. Death Valley will be charged up for this game. The noise level and hostility will be insane level. At least until FSU gives them a reason to be quiet.
3. Clemson is still loaded with athletes. They have been producing top rated recruiting classes year after year.
4. Clemson is well coached. Yes the program has lost some of its national hype the past few years, but Dabo didn’t get stupid overnight. He has won two national championships and has lots of big game experience.
5. Clemson sees this game as their one chance to possibly get back in the conversation and nothing would be better for them than the unranked and all but forgotten Tigers knocking off a top 3 team. They will have other chances to get back into the conversation with big games on their schedule vs other (currently) ranked teams, Miami, Notre Dame and North Carolina, but none of that matters if they don’t win this game.
The ‘Noles need to take care of business and get past BC and then get ready for the biggest game vs. an unranked opponent they will have possibly all season. FSU vs. Clemson.
This article was written by guest columnist Randy Cable