Super Bowl MVP Vote is Flawed
A lot of hype exists about who will win this weekend’s Super Bowl. But who will be the next Super Bowl MVP? Each year the media votes on the award during the game. The ballots are handed out in the press box early in the 4th quarter and collected with a few minutes remaining in the game. That is a problem when a player makes a key winning play in the last minute. That event will be over looked. In fact, it happened in Super Bowl LVI when the Rams Aaron Donald made same great defensive plays to seal the victory. He also had a great game up until then. But the ballots had been collected by then and Cooper Kupp, who also had a great game, received the MVP.
Let’s also remember that the media is lazy. When deciding on an MVP vote, they always start, and usually finish with the quarterback. Quarterbacks always get the benefit of the doubt for MVP honors. For example, Super Bowl LV, when the Buccaneers beat the Chiefs 31-9, MVP Tom Brady only threw for 201 yards. Granted he had 3 touchdowns and no INT’s but two of those TD’s were caught by Rob Gronkowski, Gronk should have been the MVP. Or how about Devin White who had a team high 12 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 pass deflection, and an interception? Why was that performance overlooked? Because the media is lazy and they wanted Brady to win. We might argue, in the minds of the media, Brady won that award (story line) before the game kicked off. All he had to do is show up that day.
SUPER BOWL MVP’S
- Who won the first two Super Bowl MVP’s for the Green Bay Packers? Bart Starr
- Two Miami Dolphins have won MVP’s. Can you name one? Jake Scott VII, Larry Csonka VIII
- What wide receiver won with the Rams two years ago? Cooper Kupp
- Who was the last defensive MVP (50)? Von Miller
- How many times has Patrick Mahomes won the award? 2 (LIV, LVII)
- Other than Tom Brady name the only other Buccaneer to win? Dexter Jackson
- Name the only player to win it as a Kick Returner? Desmond Howard (XXXI)
- In SB XXVII, the Cowboys James Washington had a 46 yard fumble recovery for a TD, a forced fumble, a team high 11 tackles, an INT and was not the MVP. Who was? Emmitt Smith
- What team once had co-MVP’s? Cowboys XII, Harvey Martin, Randy White
- Name the last time a Running Back won? XXXIII Terrell Davis